That which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

We are just shy of the date when Dave passed away just one year ago. Naturally, things were so bad at that point that I have no journal entries, just memories.

I believe that it was about 2 weeks before Dave passed away that he went onto hospice. That day was a day of resignation for some of us. His death then seemed emminant and his physical withdrawl seemed a foreshadowing of what the future had to hold. But in spite of the present and upcoming difficulties, we all clung to our faith.

When you're in life's trenches you have two options: press on, or give up. Yes. They are choices and one often seems easy and the other elusive. In the past few weeks I have recognized the significance of pressing on. Faith, Repentance, Baptism/Sacrament, endure, repeat.

Dave wrote this for his funeral talk. "I want everyone to know that from the very beginning of the trial, we knew that it was part of Heavenly Father’s plan. It was the plan for us. This was shown to me in a prayer in which the Spirit, or Holy Ghost, told me very clearly these comforting yet sobering words, ‘That which doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger.' Now that obviously only held true for me until recently, but that promise continues on for my family.

We have always looked at this as a blessing and although we have had some pretty rough days, we have never had the desire to “curse God and die” or to be angry about this lot in life. Scared? Yes. Upset? Yes, but angry? No.

Knowing that the Lord is all-powerful, all-knowing, and very loving helps us to just go along with the plan. He is smarter than I will ever be and I guess I figure that I probably shouldn’t try and mess with that."
Thanks, Dave.

Comments

Mandy said…
I was talking with my son Trey this morning about the importance of having a positive, cheerful attitude. We discussed that when we have a bad attitude we close ourselves off at the opportunity to learn and grow. I read your posts and am in awe that at the "worst case scenario",so to say, your family maintained a positive attitude, which has not only allowed your family to learn and grow to an extent that you would have probably thought impossible five years ago, but to thrive in the face of adversity. Georgia, you are truly inspiring and a great example to not only me, but everyone who reads your posts. I hope you continue to share your thoughts. Who knows maybe you can fulfill one of Dave's few unfulfilled dreams by writing your own book. I would definitely buy it...Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

One year older and wiser too . . .

One Year Tribute