The Family: A Proclamation to the World
I will never forget attending my first General Relief Society Broadcast. It was September of 1995. I was in my first semester of college at Southern Utah University. That was when President Gordon B. Hinkley presented "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." I recall my feelings of awe. I reflected upon the significance of his choice to present this to the women of the church before they presented it to the church in general. I was filled with gratitude as I acknowledged that the mothers are central to the creation and success of families. Presenting such a proclamation was most fittingly given to the heart of the home: mother.
In 1995, most of the things presented in that Proclamation seemed a matter of common sense, and public opinion didn't vary much from what was shared. However, it did not take long for the world to do a complete turn around. The morals and values held by society in general now often stand in stark opposition to the values presented, clarified and upheld by the Proclamation. "As the name suggests, it is addressed to all the world: all nations, all faiths, all families. It continues to be a light in a darkening world and a bulwark in defense of the family." (Successful Marriages and Families p.313).
Years ago, when my children were very young, our stake president encouraged us to memorize the Proclamation as families. My husband and I took the challenge and completed it. In the ensuing years, phrases from the proclamation have come to my mind, answering questions and standing as a beacon of truth in my mind. As the world presents it's several opposing views and opinions, I can see the truth clearly.
In a world that is unsure how marriage is defined, I find clarity. "Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God." In a world that questions the woman's place, I find clarity. "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." In a world that questions gender and individual identity, I find clarity. "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." In a world that bathes in ambiguity, I find clarity and light.
In 1995, most of the things presented in that Proclamation seemed a matter of common sense, and public opinion didn't vary much from what was shared. However, it did not take long for the world to do a complete turn around. The morals and values held by society in general now often stand in stark opposition to the values presented, clarified and upheld by the Proclamation. "As the name suggests, it is addressed to all the world: all nations, all faiths, all families. It continues to be a light in a darkening world and a bulwark in defense of the family." (Successful Marriages and Families p.313).
Years ago, when my children were very young, our stake president encouraged us to memorize the Proclamation as families. My husband and I took the challenge and completed it. In the ensuing years, phrases from the proclamation have come to my mind, answering questions and standing as a beacon of truth in my mind. As the world presents it's several opposing views and opinions, I can see the truth clearly.
In a world that is unsure how marriage is defined, I find clarity. "Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God." In a world that questions the woman's place, I find clarity. "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." In a world that questions gender and individual identity, I find clarity. "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." In a world that bathes in ambiguity, I find clarity and light.
Comments