The Eternal Family

I believe in families.  I testify that families are real.  We lived with God before we came to this earth and we will live with him again. Families are what our existence is all about.  Without them there would be no purpose and no meaning to life.  "Family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."  If you'll allow me to, I'd love to highlight some of the eternal principles contained in The Family:  A Proclamation to the World.

  • the family is central to God's plan.
  • we are all children (literal spirit children) of an eternal God and because of that, our nature is divine, as is our destiny.
  • Gender is a part of who we were before we came to earth, who we are now, and who we will become.
  • Before coming to earth, we wanted the opportunity to obtain eternal life, so we accepted God's plan for us.
  • Ordinances, covenants and temples are essential and allow us to return to God's presence.
  • God's first commandment was to be a parent.
  • Sexual relations are divine.
  • Life has value.
  • Husband and wife should place the care of their companion above their children.
  • Children should be raised in love and righteousness.
  • Children need to be taught to serve, keep the commandments and obey the law, and parents will be held accountable if they do not teach there children these things.
  • Marriage is essential.
  • Fathers preside and mothers nurture.
  • Husband and wife are equal partners.
  • When a spouse passes away, the first source of help should be extended family.
  • The disintegration of the family will bring calamities upon us.
"President spencer W. Kimball taught that 'the time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us" (Kimball 1980, p.4).  That time has come.

Take another look at the eternal principles contained in the proclamation.  There is so much clarity contained in this document.  Is there any principle contained herein that is new to you?  Is there anything that you feel particularly strong about?  

We are waging a war between good and evil.  Strong families make for strong societies and weak families make for weak, dysfunctional societies.  I think that we all hope for strong societies, but what action do we take?  Knoweldge is important, but it is action that has the power to change.

I recall a time when I was very concerned for my children.  They were young- under the age of 4.  I asked the Lord what I could do to help them survive in this corrupted world that we live in.  His answer was clear, "Share the gospel."  It is such a simple answer that we often avoid taking action.  Share the gospel.  It truly would change the world.

The Proclamation can change the world if we allow it.  A clear understanding of it's principles has the power to change lives and families and in turn, the world.  A clear understanding of it's principles will make for a stronger society.  A clear understanding of it's principles will spare us from calamity.

I encourage you to share it.  Reach out to those not of our faith.  Share your testimony.  Bring clarity to the confusion of the world.  Finally, I would like to share the prophetic words of President Boyd K. Packer.  "[The Proclamation is] 'revelatory' and 'scripturelike in its power'- and it contains timeless truths that will bless not only our lives but also the lives of those around us as we reach out, near and far, to share it."

(Successful Marriages and Families, p. 354-358).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year older and wiser too . . .

One Year Tribute