I had a handle on life . . . but it broke!

I saw this quote yesterday when I was out at the store. When I read it I felt like exclaiming, "That's me! That's me!"

I remember the days when I had a handle on life. It was a time when there was order and moments of tranquility. When there was a place for everything and everything was in its place. It was the place that I was in before I started having children and moving on average of every 9 months. It was before Dave and I invested in real estate and were constantly putting yards and blinds in our new houses. It was before Dave was diagnosed with melanoma and given 2-5 years to live and in every moment seemed to be looming the inevitable. It was before Dave passed away and the world caved in around me. It was before I was alone with 3 children who were struggling over the loss of their father and friend. Before I went back to school; all the while juggling my responsibilies as head of the house, spiritual leader, mother, housekeeper, cook, gardener, friend, neighbor, scout leader, daughter, and grand-daughter.

Since 1999, I have been longing for the days when I will have a handle on life again, rather than being dragged along. But, I can say that all of the chaos in my life has taught me to prioritize. To me, scriptures and prayers are more important than the house being clean. Family Home Evening is more important than time with friends or TV. And a meal together at the table is more valuable than any other extra-curricular activity.

So, my life may continue on in relative chaos, but I'm still holding onto the handle, and someday, I might find the glue to put things back together!

Comments

Andrea said…
Georgia, you're such a great mother! I'm in awe at how you've kept it together. I don't know if we'll every fully have a hold on our lives, at least while there is still children in our homes ;-)

I'm reminded of the saying, 'When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!' I know you've done just that! Hang in there girl. I think of you often.

Love you!!
Katie said…
You will georgia you will!
Vickie Allred said…
It sounds to me like me girl has a great hold on the RIGHT things. I love you sis. Mom A.

Popular posts from this blog

One year older and wiser too . . .

One Year Tribute