Last Year . . .


If you can believe it, this was our house just three weeks before we closed on it. Adam Lake performed a miracle getting us into our house before the holidays. We can't thank him enough. Dave and I both thought that we had to get into the house so that we wouldn't loose our interest rate, but that wasn't it. We had to enjoy making memories of Thanksgiving and Christmas together- for the last time.

Here is an entry from my journal just three days after we had moved in.
"You think it's all too much, and then it starts to rain.
We moved into our house last Saturday. We had over 20 men show up ( most of them high priests) to help us move into our new home that we haven't closed on yet. Then, about 5 women in the ward came to help me unpack. It was amazing to have the show of support that we did. Additionally, my dad came down, brought Jacob's pirate bed, and helped us assemble Allison's castle bed.

My mom also came down and was completely amazing. I don't even think that I fully appreciate what she has done for me because I didn't do it myself, but I will ever be grateful. She helped me finish packing, she watched my kids, did laundry, dishes, and cleaned (and I mean deep-cleaned) every corner of Vickie's house that we lived in. The house looks amazing and I can't thank her enough.

Today, Dave went in for an endoscopy. The doctor, Dr. Munford, found two tumors in his stomach, one in his duadenum, and several along his intestines. There was no need for a feeding tube because there's no way to attack or fix any one thing. The only solution is to endure. Dave has patiently done his part, but how much more will be required of him? Of us?

My mom left early this morning and thanks to Margaret Hafley, my children were well taken care of. Dave is scheduled to have a port put in tomorrow morning at 7 am (A preliminary for hospice, it seems). Christine Spencer is going to come over and see the kids off to school.

But if that weren't enough to arrange and enough to worry about, our sump pump was never plugged in. (The plumber blames it on the electricians.) So, the sewer overflowed into my HVAC room, and then soaked into the carpet and pad about 2' around the room. Horrah! Just one more thing. First I was angry at the plumber, then I wanted to cry at the mess. What was I to do? What am I to do? Why do I have to deal with one more thing? Why?

I have been blessed with many people to help me. Some have brought me dinner, some have watched my kids, some have helped in other ways. But even when others help, there's still some things that the Lord wants to teach you, and you just have to bear them on your own.

I'll try to buck up. I'd better go. I've got sewage to clean out of my carpets."

And life goes on . . .

Comments

Vickie Allred said…
I love you sweet daughter. You are amazing. You will never know the strength that I get from you. I am so proud of you. Today is a hard day and unfortunatly there will be a lot more of hard days but if I know dad and Dave like I think I do, they are trying their hardest to be close and help in the way that only they can help. We are really blessed to have that extra help from the other side of the vail. I really wouldn't want to do this life without knowing that they are trying their hardest to make it a little bit easier for us. It was a year ago today that I was sitting in the garden in Israel wondering if Dave would be there when I got home. I was right there where all the wonderful miracles were performed by Christ and I knew that they were real and I prayed that we could just have one of those miracles in our family, but if not...then that we would be willing to accept His will and be grateful for everything He has blessed us with. In a week, you and I will be in that sacred place and I pray that you will feel that special love that our Savior has for you. He knows you and knows that you can do it even when you forget that you can. I love you sweetheart. I am so proud of you and I know that Dave is too. Love Mom

Popular posts from this blog

One year older and wiser too . . .

One Year Tribute