7 Years and 8 Months

It will be a long time before I am able to write 7 years and 8 months with regard to David's passing, but this day is memorable in more than one way. It has been 7 years today since Dave's father, Clayton Allred, passed away due to complications from a brain tumor. In the 4 years that I knew him, he had a profound influence on me. He taught me much about family and unconditional love. My favorite words that he always spoke were, "I love you and I'm proud of you." And I knew that he was.

Dave and I were both the oldest, so our first year of marriage was very intense most of the time. (We both insisted that we wouldn't have to argue so much if the other would just concede their position.) But even amid our quarrels,regardless of who was right or wrong, Clayton always took the side of the in-laws. (Wise man. It's much easier to stay on the good side of the women.) It also helped unite our family. It was he who truly made me realize that I was a part of the Allred family.

To Dad: I miss you and wish you and David the best. Thanks for all of your love and prayers on our behalves. We look forward to the day when we might be with you again. And yes, I do know that you love me and are proud of me, even in spite of myself.

Today is also a marker for me, as it has been 8 months since Dave's passing. Oh how I miss him! I'll admit, he did know how to push my buttons, but he also knew exactly how to make me laugh. He seemed to be able to do that to most anyone.

Life is hastening on at an ever-increasing pace, and it's difficult to believe that it has been so long since he passed away because the loss is still so real, but I also recognize that before I know it, my children will be grown and I will indeed be looking back and saying "7 years and 8 months since David passed away." Life has a funny way of going on whether we are ready to or not.

The kids are doing well. They mention Dave from time to time, and I need to replace the batteries in the voice recorder so that Allison can have the opportunity to have her daddy sing her to sleep again. She will always be a princess to her dad, and the boys will always have a wonderful hero to look up to. Someone who mastered the challenges this life had to offer. Hopefully we can all do the same.

We love you, David!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One year older and wiser too . . .

One Year Tribute